Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Guinness is next to Godliness

Since arriving to Ireland I've finally got some time to sit down and do justice to my first REAL Ireland post. Aside from being deaf in one ear for about 7 hours after landing (the descent was rough on my ears and I didn't have any gum), my entire traveling experience was completely smooth. Hallelujah! Since being here we've toured a bit, done some shopping on Grafton Street (this really cool pedestrianized shopping area), been to some cool pubs (they don't call them bars here, and pronounce them poobs, ha!), and have done a lot of exploring. Dublin is so vibrant and colorful and full of life! I'm absolutely in love already.

Our apartment is about a 10-15 minute walk from just about everything in Dublin. We live on Earlsfort Terrace in an old flat with high ceilings and huge windows. I'll be taking and posting pictures soon so you can see what it looks like! It's a little chilly, but very homey! I live with four other girls, all from different places in the US and all very cool and really easy to get along with.

Dad, this ones for you - our first night making dinner on our own we teamed up with the boys who live next door to us and made parmesan chicken, pasta, and steamed vegetables. Yum! We don't have meal plans so we're roughing it on our own! Grr! But having to buy groceries and supplies has been a great opportunity to learn more about the city and to make us feel more settled.

So here's some things I've learned about the Irish since I've been here:
1) NOBODY is tan. I mean nobody. I've never felt so accepted!
2) EVERYBODY is quick and witty. It seems like I'll be jabbed with a joke then given a sly wink before I even realize I've been tricked or insulted. But, biting humor is just the Irish way of letting someone know you like them. I seriously hope it rubs off on me.
3) Guinness is the god of all beers. The Irish love their Guinness. And it is SO much better over here! We went to The Guinness Storehouse which is the old Guinness factory turned into a really cool museum. We got to learn all about how its made, its history, and I learned how to pour my own Guinness! They even gave me a certificate! That will be stapled to all of my resumes, of course.
4) TJ Maxx is called TK Maxx over here and it is NOT the bargain lovers paradise that it is in the states. I know. How disappointing.
5) Peanut butter, my most favorite friend in the world, is hard to come by over here. And when you do find it, the jars are tiny (I could probably eat one on my own in one sitting) and they all say "The American Way!" Funny, right?

I feel like I've learned so much already and I'm excited for all the countless things still left for me to learn! I've got my first day of Trinity orientation tomorrow and it'll be the first time I'm really seeing the Trinity campus which is beautiful. I can't wait!

Until next time, Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment