Thursday, March 8, 2012

We've Been Having Some Crack


That’s right. Since my mom got here on Friday it’s been  nothing but great crack. (Are you nervous yet, Dad?) That’s actually an Irish expression for a great time. It’s supposed to be spelled “craic” but the shock factor would have been lost if you had been going “great crAYke?” It really has been great though. The first thing we did upon her arrival was to have a full Irish breakfast complete with beans, blood sausage, rashers, and eggs. Yum! I’m going to let your imagination decide what some of those things might be. I showed her all around Dublin, bought her her first REAL Guinness (I think that freaked her out) and then let her crash around 9:00. But what a trooper! She made it all day without dying from jetlag!


On Saturday my friend Angelica and her roommate were visiting from Italy (!) and the four of us explored Dublin, went to the Guinness Storehouse, got dinner in a pub and went to see some live music in Temple Bar. Angelica, being the spoiled Italian that she is, was a bit skeptical of Irish food (“What do you eat over there anyway? Potatos?” If I had a penny …) But I’ll be damned if that Italian girl didn’t eat every last bit of her Irish breakfast AND her dinner of bangars and mash! She’s definitely got a new appreciation for the Irish. Ha!


On Monday I skipped class to go on a bus tour with Mom (corrupting the youth, so she is!) We traveled to the west coast to see the Cliffs of Moher, stopping in a few counties on the way. The cliffs are absolutely incredible! We also saw the Burren, which is a huge expanse of exposed limestone right next to the ocean; a bunch of other little villages and ruins, and lots and lots of green countryside. They don’t call it the Emerald Isle for nothin’. Unfortunately I haven’t had the time to load my pictures yet, but I’ll load a big batch of them after we get back from our trip to LONDON!


That’s right. A girls’ weekend in London! Wild, right? We leave tonight (Thursday) around seven and will get back around midnight on Saturday. I can’t believe how lucky we are that we get to do this. We’ll be staying with her cousins who live a twenty minute train ride outside the city center. Free and convenient. We couldn’t ask for anything more. And if there is one thing that I absolutely positively must do in London if I do not a thing otherwise, it’s go to Platform 9 ¾. DREAM COME TRUE. I mean, this one is right up there with kissing the Blarney Stone and becoming best friends with Lady GaGa (still working on that second one). It’s going to be such a fun weekend! I can’t wait to see what London has in store for us. I’m sure it’ll be great craic!


Cheers, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment