Monday, January 9, 2012

"When God made time, he made plenty of it"


[I wrote this while traveling yesterday, but have only had the chance to post it now]


Hurry up and wait: the old adage that holds true every single time. Today is my big travel day and with that I’ve been afforded the precious gift of time. Two hours on a train, four hours in an airport, and seven hours on a plane. In other words, I’m looking for some stuff to do so I don’t start shaking and mumbling to myself in anticipation of what lies ahead of me (even though that might help secure a seat to myself on the train). I figured I should use this time to do one last stateside post before I hop across the pond.
As I type this I’m zipping through the northeast on Amtrak, sitting next to my inordinately heavy piece of luggage. I was so proud of myself when I managed to fit everything I needed and then some into my suitcase, only to find out that it was 15 lbs over the weight limit. Ensue crisis. “What am I going to DO? I can’t afford to leave behind 15 lbs of my stuff!!” Dad chimed in with the ever so helpful “If this was your brother, he’d be 15lbs UNDER the limit!” Thanks for that one, Dad. But luckily with some rearranging and some sad goodbyes to a few choice pieces of clothing, I’m 3 lbs under the limit and on my way! Since I know you’re wondering, the cowboy boots and the sperries didn’t make the cut. Neither did what was at the time a completely necessary 6 bottles of nail polish, 2 pairs of jeans and a hoodie. Parting is such sweet sorrow.
FUN FACT: On my birthday a few friends and I went to get our cards read by a psychic in Southbury, CT. She was eerily accurate about A LOT of things. If you’ve got a spiritual side, and you ever get the chance to go, do it! It’s pretty cool. ANYWAY, she told me that in Ireland I’ll find someone 4-8 years my senior who I will become very close with and who will have a lot of things to teach me. She said the relationship will be intense, but that when I leave Ireland it will be goodbye forever. Needless to say, I’m going to hunt this person down. Just kidding. But it will be interesting to see if she was right, which is why I’m sharing this with you on my blog!
That’s all for now! I’ve got a lot of sitting and waiting ahead of me today but I’m so excited to be embarking on this journey. I’m sure I’ll look back to this day and this post and think: man, that girl had NOOOO idea what was in store for her. I hope I do.
Next stop, Ireland!

No comments:

Post a Comment