Wednesday, March 28, 2012

ADVENTURE WEEKEND!!!!!!

I think adventure weekend definitely got the best of me. I’m (miraculously) safe back in Dublin with a mean chest cold, more sore muscles than I even knew I had, and a pair of sneakers that are not even close to their original color, but it was all worth it. Adventure weekend was definitely one of the wildest weekends I’ve had here this semester!

Adventure weekend started Friday morning at 6:00 am when we had to get up to catch a 7:45 bus. That was an adventure in and of itself. I walked over to my roommate Lindsay’s bed where she was groggily attempting to force her eyes open and whisper-screamed “ADVENTURE WEEKEND!!!!!!” with a double handed rock on sign. It quickly became everyone’s motivational mantra for the entire weekend. I gave myself many self-congratulatory taps on the back for that on for that one.

We got to the Killary Adventure Center around lunch time. It’s set in the middle of Ireland’s only Fjord (a river valley between two mountains that formed from the melting of a glacier) and just like so many other of Ireland’s natural wonders, was mind-blowingly beautiful.  I still cannot believe I get to see places like that in person. For my afternoon activity I chose to do the zip line and high ropes course. The high ropes course involved two people shimmying up a huge pole and standing at the top of a wobbly platform that was about the right size for a melon. Then you jumped from the platform and grabbed onto a trapeze pole a few feet away (all of this done while harnessed to a safety line of course) and hung there suspended 40 feet in the air. My friend Sue and I were the first to volunteer. We both slipped off the pole … but that’s only because it was wet! We got it all nice and dry for everyone who went after is and was able to do it. Later we had dinner and at night there was team trivia! It involved a bunch of brain buster questions and a few activities – one of which was to make a male team member into “the prettiest girl in the world” and have all the guys do a catwalk for everyone. It was hilarious. Especially since most of the guys definitely liked it way more that they would ever admit too. There were guys in bikini tops and skirts wearing more makeup than any girl in their right mind would, and loving every second of it. I volunteered  to do challenge for my team where I had to hold a broom stick, step over it, bring it up over my head, put it and my arm behind my right leg, wiggle my right foot over the top, bring it up between my legs, and finally step over with my left foot to bring it to the starting position. I did it all in 13 seconds and won the challenge for my team! Who know I was so limber? I didn’t. Ouch.

The next day I chose hill walking for my morning activity. Now, I don’t know about you, but when I hear “hill walking” I think hiking up a path at a semi-leisurely pace, enjoying the scenery, and stopping occasionally for some photo ops. Oh no. Hill walking apparently translates to hiking up a huge mountain through mud and bog and with nothing even close to a path to guide you. It Was. Great. The “hill” was about 550 meters high and we estimated the whole climb to be somewhere around 5 miles. Once we got to the top, the winds were about 35 – 40 mph and we could barely stand up straight. The view from the top was absolutely amazing and completely worth nearly ruining a pair of sneakers (they’re a bit worse for the wear after this weekend). Not only that, but the sense of accomplishment from having climbed a mountain was awesome.  I definitely want to incorporate more hikes into my life.  For the afternoon activity my friends and I chose combat laser tag where we got to dress up in army gear and run around in the woods while shooting each other with machine-gun-shaped laser guns. It was basically every 11-year-old boys dream, and we were all definitely having just as much fun as 11 year old boys. My inner peace advocate felt kind bad for contributing to the appropriation of violence (I’m working on my fun sucking feminist persona, how does it sound?) but the chance to roll around in the mud and wear combat gear was just way too much fun for me to pass up. Later that night was the disco where we all pretended to be middle schoolers again and jumped around to music in the cafeteria. The only difference was alcohol and no chaperones!! Woo go crazyy!!  It was so fun.

The next morning I was hoping to do the Turf Challenge which is a 6 mile obstacle course where you have to climb rope walls, jump through tubes, trudge through bog, run through forest, and swim through the river. Unfortunately I woke up with a cold (probably from wearing wet muddy shoes for an entire day) so I opted for the less challenging giant swing and rock wall climbing. Not quite as adventurous, but still a lot of fun! Rock climbing, as it turns out, is not as easy as it looks, so it was still a challenging alternative. The giant swing consisted of being strapped into two big cloth seats and swinging from a starting point about 50 ft in the air. Scary, adrenaline pumping, and so much fun.

Some of the other activities were kayaking, gorge walking, clay pigeon shooting, archery, tubing, and cliff jumping. Every single one of us had an amazing weekend and left happy, sore, and completely exhausted. I didn’t take very many pictures for fear of my camera ending up like my shoes (did I mention I stepped  knee deep into mud pit while trying to sniper my friends? I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t awesome) but I did pilfer some photos from my friends. Adventure throught the pictures here! And here's a video of me and Sue on the Giant Swing!

I’ve also found some semi-non incriminating photos from St. Patty's Day that you can see here!

This week I’ll be preparing for a test I have next Monday in my Irish Art class. I have to get ahead because this weekend I’ll be in Brussels and Amsterdam and I’m fairly certain I won’t be getting any studying done there. We’re also planning a small stop in Bruges which people have been raving about. I have absolutely no idea what’s there, so I guess I’ll find out where I get there! I’ll keep you posted.

That’s all for now, folks. I’m jealous of all the great weather you’re having back in the states. It’s finally starting to get warmer here. We broke 70 degrees the other day! Heat wave! I’m so excited for everything to start blooming. I’ve been wanting to post pictures of St. Stephen’s Green, a famous park right near my apartment, but have been waiting until it’s in the full swing of spring. That will hopefully be soon!



Until next time, ADVENTURE WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment