Monday, March 19, 2012

I Can Die a Happy Gal


St. Patrick’s Day in Dublin, Ireland. I don’t know if I’ll ever experience anything quite the same ever again. For those of you who don’t know, St. Patty’s Day is my Christmas. It is absolutely, positively the happiest most glorious day of the year. It is my favorite holiday. And spending it in the heart of what is the St. Patty’s day capital of the world will go down in my personal history of what was quite possibly one of the best days of my life.


Do I sound like I’m being overly dramatic? This is actually how crazy I am about St. Patty’s.
Friends from all over started arriving at our apartment by 9:30am. By 10:30 I had everyone doing Irish car bombs in my tiny sliver of a kitchen, and by noon we were out on the town! The city was in a state of absolute blissful mayhem. The streets were jammed with people in all sorts of Irish get-up, and I can safely say not one of them was sober. Even the children. Just kidding. We went to the parade, but after about a half hour of standing on tips toes and straining our necks to see it, we decided we’d be better off finding a pub to celebrate in than competing with people on ladders and kids on shoulders to see some floats. For the rest of the afternoon we bounced around different pubs and met up with the inordinately large number of PC kids who came to Ireland. At one point we were at a pub that literally could have been Olds with the number of friars that were there (that’s a reference that  the PC community will understand). Mid afternoon we grabbed some food and headed back to my apartment to crash for a few hours before gearing up to head back out for some more St. Patty’s Day insanity (car bombs round 2 anyone?) We only made it until about midnight until most of us were dead on our feet, but it was the happiest exhaustion that I’ve ever experienced. That night we ended up with a total of seventeen people staying in our apartment. That’s right, you heard me correctly, seventeen. You couldn’t walk without stepping on a person. It was the best. The next day we took a nice trip to the quiet coastal town of Howth for some beautiful scenery and a little recovery. It was the perfect way to end an amazing weekend.


I’ll try to post some photos from the weekend, but I fear that most of them will be incriminating. For those of you who would like to see for yourselves, try googling “St. Patty’s Day 2012 Dublin” and just picture me there in your mind’s eye. 


This week I'll be hitting the books before our adventure weekend in Kilary. My entire program will be over taking an outdoor adventure facility where we're rumored to be doing things like rock climbing, rope swinging, and some sort of activity involving a lot of mud. I'll be sure to keep you posted!

I hope that everyone back at home had the happiest of St. Patrick’s Days!

Cheers, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment