Friday, April 6, 2012

Europe is Waiting


In a very short time I’ll be jetting off on what is sure to be the trip of a lifetime. I’ve been talking all semester about my “big Euro-trip” and now that it’s finally here I can’t believe it’s actually happening. I’m posting a general itinerary of where I’ll be and when so that you can follow me along my trip, and so that if I end up getting lost or dying somewhere along the line you’ll at least know where I’m supposed to be (don’t worry Mom and Dad that won’t happen!) Okay so here it is:


Paris: April 8th-10th
                I’ll be meeting Nigel and Lindsay who will have gotten there the day before me. I’m hoping to see the Louvre (I’ll say hi to Mona for everyone) Note Dame, and the Eiffel Tower. I’ve heard the Eiffel Tower at night is an incredible experience and I can’t wait to see it! I know there’s so much more Paris has to offer me, and I can’t wait to find out what it is.


Prague: April 10th – 13th
                Lindsay, Nigel, and I will be meeting up with our friend Amanda in Prague where we’ve rented an apartment for the weekend. To be honest, the only thing I know about Prague is that there’s some famous castle. Other than that, it’ll all be news to me.


Rome: April 13th-15th
                There are so many things I want to see in Rome I could probably write a novel on it. St. Peter’s Basilica, the Sistine Chapel, Trevi Fountain, the Colleseum, the Pantheon, the Spanish Steps. And that’s only a fraction of the amazing things Rome boasts. We only have two very short days in Rome (our flight gets in late on the 13th) so I hope we have enough time to pack in as much as possible!


Florence: April 15th-17th
                In Florence we’ll be staying with some of my PC gals. They’ve already been telling me about the places where we’re going to eat and I could not be more excited for some authentic Italian food. I’m assuming most of my pictures from Italy are going to be of the food I eat. And maybe like the David or something. But let’s be honest, do you think I’m going to Italy for the amazing historical buildings and artifacts? I’m going for the pizza.


Milan: April 17th-18th
                We have an extremely short time in Milan. This wasn’t even on our list of travel destinations but we ended up finding really cheap flights out of Milan airport so hello Milan! I have no idea what’s there, but there’s got to be something cool, right? I mean, it is in Italy. We’re still having trouble finding accommodation in Milan so it’ll be interesting to see how this part of our trip turns out. Train station benches are comfy, right? (Just kidding Mom and Dad! I hope!)


Budapest: April 18th-21st
                I am extremely excited for Budapest! It’s somewhere that I never ever even dreamed I’d be seeing. I’m really excited about taking a spa day in one of the traditional bath houses that Budapest is known for. I think by the end of this trip, I’ll need a spa day. Or seven.


The way we split up the planning for this trip (and there was A LOT of it) was to take a city or two each and research everything. So even in the places where I have no idea what goes on, at least one of us will. Hopefully. But if I have no idea what to expect, then I’ll be surprised by everything I see! I’m going to attempt to blog and post pictures in whatever down time I have (a.k.a. in airports and on trains). I have a feeling though that most of my major documentation will happen after getting back home to Dublin (Yes, home to Dublin. It hasn’t taken long at all for this place to become a wonderful second home to me). 


You’ll have to forgive me as I don’t quite feel as though I’ve done this blog post justice. I’ve been trying to squeeze it in between planning and entertaining my friend Emily whose here to visit which has been so fun! (Side note: Did you know that all the pubs in Ireland completely close down on Good Friday because it’s a holy day?  Me neither. It was a rude awakening getting kicked out of a pub at midnight on Thursday. If you ask me, I don’t think Jesus would have minded letting us have some Guinness in his honor.) I think I could have talked a lot more about how completely out of my mind excited I am to be going on this trip. How I can literally hear my bank account screaming at me from across the Atlantic. And how incredibly thankful I am to be able to have this experience that will without a doubt stay a part of me for the rest of my life. But before this trip lives on in my memory, I actually get to live it.


Bon Voyage, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment